Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

It was a year (and a day) ago when I began doing CrossFit and eating in the Zone. So, has it worked? Decide for yourself...here are some happenings of the past year:

Began January 5, 2008. Tabata This. First workout in a couple of years. My arms were so sore I couldn't shave for a week. Still, a very exhilerating experience! I learned I'm not 18 anymore and I need to be a little careful working out.

First 3 months were great. Hitting many of the WODs for the first time...every day was a new challenge.

In February, I had a condition that required Prep H...not fun at all. Workout related? According to Dr. Mike, most likely due to straining while lifting. Complete recovery (so far) but he said it's a condition that could return...

In early April, I pinched a nerve in my back doing OHS, my arms and fingers were numb for a couple weeks. Saw Dr. Todd a few times for some sort of treatment. Complete recovery. I learned I have very little flexibility in my shoulders and OHS might not be for me.

May and early-June were pretty uneventful. Began to see more repeats of
WODs and was able to see improvement in my times and scores. Measurable gains are always a good positive reinforcement. In late June, I had my gallbladder removed. About six weeks of downtime. Worst part was being in on vacation in Cancun and not being able to play with my girls since it was a week after the surgery. Complete recovery.

Overall, I've felt better physically and mentally than I ever have. I'm certain my rapid recovery from gallbladder surgery was helped by my physical conditioning. I ran the half-marathon in Indy on November 1. Felt strong and had a much better time than the one I ran in May 2006, even though I only had 4 training runs of longer than 45 minutes.

I really noticed how good I felt throughout the year when I compared it to how lousy I felt in December 2008 when I took a couple weeks (no exercise) and I ate like crap. I felt tired, sluggish, and found it hard to concentrate.

Before this year, I had never stayed on any exercise or eating program (diet) for more than a couple months. I hate diets! In fact, I still contend, contrary to what my family says, that I'm not on a diet, I'm simple eating better. I've reduced my sugar intake (no soda for the past year...well maybe a sip now and then but water, milk, and occassionally tea are my beverage of choice). I've owned a bowflex for probably 10 years and have joined gyms mulitple times over the years but have gotten bored with both. I use the bowflex reguarly now (for bench press, deadlifts, and the bench for sit ups). So as I start my second year, I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid..drinking heck, I'm chugging it!

I do the WODs consistently. I'll check the website the night before to see what's coming the next day, and I have the WOD texted to my cell phone. A quote of Dave Castro sticks in my mind...he said you should "be a little nervous before your WOD"...in other words you know you are about to put yourself through about 20 minutes of grueling work! It would be easy to coast during a WOD and not push yourself, but when I gear up and give 100% during a workout, I get a lot more out of it. I love the hate the WOD, but feel so good when it's over.

My goal when I started this wasn't to get big muscles, it was to get into shape. After studying Coach's definition of what it means to be fit, I knew that was what I wanted. I do think I look better than I did (and that's a great by-product), but it's all about feeling better...and THAT, I have accomplished.

So what's in store for 2009...I'd like to stay healthy, do every WOD, get my first muscle up, and do a handstand, and beat my 11/08 time when I run in Indy in 5/09 by using only the main site WODs and CrossfitEndurance WODs.

Here's to a great 2009!

No comments: